Sunday, September 29, 2013

Today I bring you an interview with fellow fantasy author, Michelle Louring. Thank you for taking the time to talk to us today, Michelle.

1. Can you define the moment that you first knew you wanted to write a book?

I think it was about 8 chapters into my first book I actually realized that I intended to finish it… I had written a lot of short stories before and started on several books, but I had never imagined that I would finish one. But after I got so far in Resounding Echo, I thought ‘What the heck, I’m doing this!’.

2. Whose opinions do you value most when it comes to your writing?

People I know have read all their life, simply because they enjoy it. And if they’re friends, I have become good at knowing the difference between those afraid to hurt my feelings and the real ones who won’t hesitate to say ‘This sucks, change it’.

3. Where do most of your ideas originate?

Mental inactivity. When I try really hard at coming up with ideas, they’re stubbornly staying away. But when I’m sitting in a meeting, listening to someone so dull I’m afraid my brain will melt, the inspiration always come flying to my rescue. That, or when I’m desperately trying to sleep and it just won’t let me…

4. How many characters have you killed, and have you ever regretted killing a character?

Of my main characters (the ones that haven’t been villains), I have only killed one. Minor characters die like flies in my writing, especially the ones that make the mistake of annoying me.

…Yes, I know they’re my characters, but that doesn’t mean they don’t annoy me.

I have never regretted killing a character, but I do admit I have started to miss the main character I killed off. He was a lot of fun!

5. What has been the hardest book for you to write?  Why?

My second book, Silent Sound, was delayed greatly, because I kept falling into writer’s blocks caused by self-doubt. I didn’t take the first book that seriously as I had never intended for anyone to read it at first, but by the time I was halfway through the second, I started doubting if my writing really was worth anything. It still happens, but I have learned to ignore that annoying little voice in the back of my head and just power through.

6. Do you do any research before you begin to write a new book?

Never! I do research DURING a book, but never before. Actually, I never think before starting a new book. My first book was written after I asked a friend for an idea for something to write. All he said was ‘What about something that starts in a monastery?’. That was all I needed to get started. Figuring out such trivial things as plot lines can wait for later, can’t they?

7. How do you market your books?

To be honest, I don’t really anymore. In the beginning, I did the usual things: Facebook, Twitter, blogging and everything else they said you needed to do to market your books on the internet.
I also realized that it made life miserable and that I didn’t really enjoy writing while I did it. So I stopped. I still keep my website updated and make sure to announce new releases on the social networks, but other than that I keep pretty quiet.

I do, however, go to conventions and sell paperbacks. It doesn’t really do much for marketing, but I have a blast! It’s much more fun to meet people in person and have a chat than to see some number in a sales report.

Also, just at the beginning of this month, I went to a convention and someone who bought my first book at another convention two years ago came and asked me to write in the second after she bought it. That’s the kind of thing that warms an author’s heart!

8. Where do you publish your books, and which distributor do you see the most sales from?

I publish paperbacks via the POD publisher Createspace and ebooks via all major retailers. I publish directly through Amazon and to other retailers via Smashwords.

In the past, I had almost all of my sales at Amazon (like most other self-published authors), but lately, Amazon has gone back, while others, especially Apple’s iBookstore, are winning ground. I would say that Amazon and the Smashwords’ retailers are pretty much even right now.

9. How do you cope with writing and juggling the demands of all your other commitments?

I take the train instead of driving to work. I read on the trip out and get most of my writing done on the trip home. I never let writing get in the way of the rest of my life, as it was never meant to be a job, but I fit it in around all my other activities. I always carry a notebook around (and a tablet with a keyboard if I know I will get time to write) and I write whenever I have the time.

I find that I can’t even write probably when I have nothing else I need to do!

10. Do you have any other creative outlets aside from writing?

Lately a friend of mine has gotten me into costume making. I spend my weekends covered in super glue and trying to make horns out of PU foam. It can’t possibly end well…

11. Do you reward yourself after completing a book and, if so, how?

All the reward I really need is the first paperback copy arriving in the mail. Other than that, I just allow myself some time to relax before my mind goes into overdrive over the next book!

12. If you had a super power, what would it be and why?

I always wanted to be able to walk through walls like Shadowcat, but now I’m thinking I would like the ability to shut people up. How hard can it be to be quiet in the Quiet Zone of the train?!

13. What has been the best moment in your life so far?

That’s a tough one… Can I get back to you?

14. Is there a message or a lesson that you’d like to convey to your readers?

Don’t super glue yourself to a table. Really, it’s stupid, don’t do it.

15. Please share your purchase links with us.

My books at:

Also, feel free to visit my website.

The battlefield of angels and demons is no place for a human...
-
For nearly 6 years, Selissa has lived an almost peaceful life at the temple, but she has no memories from the time before the priests took mercy on her. All she has from her past life are a strange symbol on her back and fearful dreams. 

It's only when the mysterious traveler Alassane arrives at the temple that her lost memories come back to haunt her. Soon, Selissa finds herself fighting for her life and comes to know that no one are what they pretend to be...




Michelle Louring was born and raised in Denmark, where she still lives, surrounded by her two big dogs, her cat and her owl. Yes, you read that right, her owl.

From a very young age, she loved reading and writing in Danish, but quickly fell in love with the more expressive English language when she was taught it in school. Now nearly all her books are in English and not even her to do-lists get written in Danish.

Besides writing, she has a great passion for falconry (hence the owl), archery and occasionally martial arts. She is also quite a geek as she enjoys comics, superhero movies and has been a gamer of World of Warcraft for 8 years.



No comments:

Post a Comment